Recently the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (the “CMU”) approved new rules on issuance of visas for entry to Ukraine and transit through its territory.*
The new rules were officially published on 17 March 2017 and will become effective in 30 days after the publication date.
Key novelties are the following:
- It will be possible to submit visa application online and conduct interviews with applicants via video conference.
- The list of countries whose citizens are eligible to obtain visas at checkpoints at the state border of Ukraine is expanded.
- The term for visa issuance and fees for its issuance were reduced.
- A type D visa will be issued as a multiple entry visa and its term of validity will be 90 days (instead single-entry visa with 45 days term of validity).
- It is no longer necessary to provide standard invitations issued by the State Migration Service of Ukraine in order to obtain a short- term type C visa.
It is expected that these changes will simplify and improve the procedure of issuance of Ukrainian visas.
*Approved by the CMU Resolution No. 118, dated March 1, 2013